Search This Blog

Sunday 17 March 2013

the best part of teaching english

As much as I enjoy making fun of my students' grammar and spelling mistakes (I got a draft of a writing assignment this past week -- the student had carefully adjusted spelling and grammar because, as their title explained, it is their "ruff draft"), I really think teaching English is something special. I love teaching the content of other subjects, but English teachers get a special window into their students: they get to read what they write. I know that other teachers are certainly capable of building relationships, but English teachers seem to have a pretty direct route if they decide to take advantage of it. 

I have loved reading students' quick-writes, memoirs, poems and responses to things we've read or watched in class. 

As I made my way through the pile of marking, I found a note tucked inside one of the writing assignments handed in to me. On a little post-it, the note read: "This [the topic of her piece] is a very touchy topic in my household and we don't talk about it much. If possible please don't mention to my parents that I wrote it. Thanks."

 Just one example of the many things I've learned about my students in their writing. Being let into someone's private life is a real honour. Helping them learn how to get their message across -- whatever it is -- more effectively is a powerful tool. I hope I always take that seriously. 



No comments:

Post a Comment