Search This Blog

Thursday 7 March 2013

spaghetti squash round one


I don't remember ever eating spaghetti squash, and I have certainly never cooked it. My cooperating teacher is a bodybuilder and a self-proclaimed nutrition nut. She's been an inspiration for me (I've actually been exercising three times a week since New Year's!) and she suggested spaghetti squash as an alternative to pasta. I love squash, and I love spaghetti, so I thought this might work out well. 

I prepared the squash by slicing it in half (they're tough to cut into -- be careful!) lengthwise. I scooped out the seeds and loose strands and put both halves on a cookie sheet, skin-side down. I brushed about 1 and a half tablespoons of olive oil on each side and sprinkled with salt and pepper. I covered both halves with tin foil and put them in the oven at 375 (or was it 400?) degrees. 

When I checked on the squash about 25 minutes in, I was still at a loss as to how exactly this solid squash would turn into noodle-like strands. But when I took the squash out of the oven after about 50 minutes of baking time, I was amazed! I started pushing my fork into the flesh, peeling it away from the skin and sure enough it began to separate like spaghetti noodles! 

I took the "alternative to spaghetti" quite literally, so I only added a bit of brie cheese that we had in the fridge, the last sprinkling of parmesan, and a few tablespoons of pasta sauce. I was a little disappointed by how it became a mushy mass, and Isaac didn't appreciate the texture at all. I did enjoy how the squash gave me that full feeling you get from pasta (without being pasta!). I need to approach spaghetti squash on its own terms next time instead of just seasoning it as if it was spaghetti. Some teachers at the high school suggested feta and herbs ... 

Even though spagetti squash was a no-go for Isaac, I liked it and will definitely try it again. 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! Working out since the beginning of the year, huh?? Good for you!! I just got back on track a couple weeks ago. Feels GREAT and hope to continue (skinny people can still live "fat").
    I absolutely LOVE pasta and it would be a hard thing to swear off of. For now, been mixing white and whole wheat, but hey, it's a start ... (have noticed the whole wheat takes longer to cook which has become a timing challenge and totally annoying lol).
    Also going grocery shopping this weekend to try out quinoa - apparently it's the latest craze!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone is talking about quinoa! Let me know how it goes ... I love couscous, so if it's like that maybe I should try it out?
    As for working out ... it does feel great. I don't do very much (20min-half hour 3 times a week), but from the stretching alone I've noticed that I have way less neck and back pain. I also have more energy after I work out. For the first time in my life, I'll get to the point where I want to work out and will feel gross if I don't ... that in itself is a huge accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete